Data Engineer, Data and Digitalisation Team
Operational Performance Directorate
Location: Glasgow / Hull / Blyth with Flexible Working Options
Offshore Renewable Energy Catapult is excited to be recruiting for a Data Engineer to be based within our Operational Performance directorate reporting to the Data & Digitalisation Team Lead.
Our Operational Performance team are technical experts developing solutions that improve the operational performance of offshore wind farms, building on the UK’s strong track record in offshore renewables’ operations and maintenance.
As a data engineer you will support the company and industry in tackling challenges using modern and innovative data technologies (local, server or cloud based solutions). You will lead the engineering of suitable data solutions, develop, and maintain datasets for the company and industry, as well as continually working to improve data quality and efficiency.
Tell me more about the position?
This is an exciting opportunity to join a new and growing capability within ORE Catapult focusing on the unlocking of value from data to support the rapid growth of the Offshore Renewables Industry. You will be joining a team of data analysts and scientists to support a range of projects which include collaborating with industry to solve real life challenges, supporting the development of SME technologies and supporting the business itself to develop its own digital maturity.
We are seeking a motivated and skilled individual with Data Engineering experience in a similar setting. You will be working both collaboratively within the team to scope, develop and deliver data solutions to support ongoing projects, and also, as an individual as part of external collaborative projects to provide expertise to partners on tackling data challenges. You should be comfortable in working within an innovative environment where the scope is not always clear and be able to apply your skills to identify and solve the challenges which we and the industry are faced with.
Example projects which you may encounter within this role include:
- Engage with external stakeholders to identify the current ‘state of the art’ of the acquisition, storage, processing and use of operational data from offshore wind farms
- Work with parts of the business to develop data requirements, design, test and implement effective data architectures (i.e. SQL Databases, Azure Cloud Computing, Python Processing Scrips etc.)
- Develop strategies for innovative projects on the management of large structured and unstructured datasets (i.e. the management of operational and geospatial data sets to interface with high fidelity simulation platforms)
What do I need to qualify for this role?
- Educated to degree level or higher in Data Science or related field OR demonstrable relevant work experience
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in data engineering preferably in an industrial domain or working in relevant field
- Extensive experience of applied data engineering including but not limited to designing / deploying / maintaining data pipelines and Extract Transform Load processes.
- Experience of using or development of robust data engineering practices and/or standards.
- Awareness of the offshore wind industry
- Comfortable working in an innovation environment where creative thinking and individual initiative is required
- Experience in one or more technology stacks:
- Microsoft Dynamics and PowerApps
- SQL or similar for data management and access of structured datasets
- HDF5 or similar for data management and access of complex R&D datasets
- InfluxDB or similar for data management and access of cloud-based time series datasets
- Python, R or similar for data science
- R, Python, Power BI or other similar for visualisation
- MS Office – Proficient in the use of Excel, Word and Outlook packages
Desirable, but not essential:
- Experience handing and processing operational data from offshore wind farms including SCADA, alarms, CMS, work orders etc
- Cloud computing technology stack experience (such as Microsoft Azure or Amazon Web Services)
- Expertise in GIS / spatial data analysis, particularly in a maritime setting
Who are we?
The offshore wind, wave and tidal sectors are amongst the fast-growing, most innovative and exciting industries in the UK and are at the forefront of supporting our transition to a low-carbon economy and our fight against the climate emergency.
Offshore Renewable Energy Catapult (ORE Catapult), is a leading technology innovation and research centre delivering the UK’s largest clean growth opportunity by accelerating the creation and growth of UK companies in offshore renewable energy. With locations across the UK and in China, ORE Catapult works with industry and academia to identify, develop, prove and de-risk promising new technologies and bring them to market. It is helping to reduce the cost of offshore renewable energy, supporting the growth of the industry and creating UK benefit.
Our working environment is open, inspiring and multicultural, and we provide great potential for personal and professional development.
In return, an excellent remuneration package is offered which includes attractive basic salary, pension, bonus, and subsidised health care saving scheme.
How do I apply?
If you feel you have the skills and experience to be successful in this role, please take the opportunity to review the details of the position and apply using an updated CV which showcases the skills and experience you have relevant to the role.
Thank you for your interest in Offshore Renewable Energy Catapult.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of race, sex, disability, religion and belief, sexual orientation, or status regarding gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity.