ORE Catapult – Glasgow
An exciting opportunity as arisen for a Data Engineer to support, develop and deliver the Offshore Renewable Energy (ORE) Catapult’s goal of becoming, and remaining, a recognised centre of excellence in offshore renewable energy. This is an opportunity to help drive and deliver innovation activities in the rapidly growing offshore renewable energy industry.
The ORE Catapult is one of 11 Catapults set up by the Innovate UK to accelerate the deployment of innovative technology in the UK. With locations in Glasgow, Levenmouth, Blyth and Hull, the ORE Catapult is accelerating the development of commercially viable technologies applicable to offshore wind, wave and tidal power.
What is the role?
We are currently looking for a Data Engineer, with relevant skills and experience to join the Operational Performance Directorate based in Glasgow.
As a key member of the Operational Performance Directorate, you will ensure that delivery of projects, programmes, products and services are underpinned by robust, expert and sustainable information system processes, procedures and capability. You will provide the high quality support that the ORE Catapult’s multi-functional project teams require. The multi-functional approach allows the members of the team an opportunity to build a varied range of project experience which is tailored to personal development aspirations and drives innovative project performance.
Each role within the Operational Performance Directorate is developed to deliver a level of specialist knowledge in one or more areas. The blend of these roles across the team provides a broad, dynamic and high quality engineering resource for the ORE Catapult.
The specific role requirement currently being sought is a Data Engineer with experience or expertise in some or all of the following:
Sequel Server (SQL) Database design, testing and implementation;
Data engineering and database queries;
Cloud based information system using the Amazon Web Service (AWS) platform;
Website and user interface design;
Application Programming Interface (API) design;
Customer interaction and collection of requirements;
Software provider supplier management;
Offshore wind industry, with a focus on data systems used in the operational phase of the project lifecycle.
What are my key responsibilities?
- Management of existing Sequel server (SQL) databases and information systems that underpin ORE Catapult projects, products and services;
- Collect requirements and lead on high level architecture and design of new databases and information systems;
- Supplier management to oversee the end to end process of design, implementation, testing and system integration of information systems;
- Provide information system expertise to support ongoing public and privately funded projects and research;
- Database queries and analytics to extract value by processing, visualising and evaluating data to discover useful insight;
- Maintain currency of knowledge of latest renewable technologies and information systems good practice and the application of these in a commercial and research environment;
- Assist internal clients such as business development and research functions to provide tender support and promote the activities of the ORE Catapult;
- Represent ORE Catapult at industry forums, demonstrating capability, competency and experience to stakeholders.
- Maintain a high level of health and safety awareness in accordance with company procedures and current legislation, and encourage safe behaviours in the provision of the role;
What do I need to qualify for this role?
A degree or equivalent in an Computer Science or Data Science or equivalent discipline, or HND/HNC/apprenticeship and/or supplemented by relevant experience;
Demonstrable experience in the design and implementation of SQL databases and data analytics infrastructures;
Experience with cloud based computing and services API implementation, ETL processes and scripting is desirable;
Awareness of business analysis, big data concepts, machine learning and statistical analysis software is desirable;
Supplier and software contract management experience;
Able to work effectively within a team environment and also using own initiative;
Knowledge of and the application of good practice information systems design procedures and tools;
Good oral and written communication skills;
Good time management and organisation skills;
Customer facing capability and able to forge strong relationships;
Reasonable awareness of the offshore wind industry;
- Membership of a Professional organisation, such as Institute of Engineering and Technology (IET), or aspirations to achieve, is desirable.
We offer exciting challenges and career opportunities in an ever growing innovative company at the leading edge of green technology. Our working environment is open, inspiring and international, and we provide great potential for personal and professional development.
In return, an excellent remuneration package is offered which includes attractive basic salary, pension, bonus, and subsidised health care saving scheme.
Closing Date: 24th November 2017