Senior Software Developer
Professional Services Directorate
Locations: Blyth - with flexible and partial remote working
Offshore Renewable Energy Catapult (ORE Catapult) is excited to be recruiting for an experienced Senior Software Developer to be based within our Professional Services Directorate, reporting to the Head of ICT.
As Senior Software Developer your role will be to create new and innovative software solutions that will be utilised by our staff, partners and customers. You will also be required to maintain and develop existing platforms such as our SPARTA & WEBS benchmarking platforms to ensure they continue to be industry leading solutions. In some cases, you’ll be building solutions inhouse, but you may also be working with software providers, consultancies, owner operators and other stakeholders to collaborate on software development projects
As an integral addition to our in-house ICT Team, you will be building upon the already strong service provision which enables ORE Catapult and its colleagues to continue providing an invaluable service to the UK Offshore Renewable Energy industry.
Tell me more about the position?
This role is about more than simply developing software. To truly make a difference you’ll also need to be able to identify the commercial and operational value of your solutions and demonstrate that to our stakeholders, many of whom are not from a technical background.
We provide unique benchmarking services to the industry as a whole, in the form of the following;
- SPARTA – This is a System Performance, Availability and Reliability Trend Analysis (SPARTA) platform which supports improvements in the availability, reliability, and performance of offshore wind assets, which will drive efficiency improvements, cost reduction, sector innovation, investment, and development.
- WEBS - Wind Energy Benchmarking Service is an independent performance benchmarking company. It applies a suite of web-based tools to assist wind farm owner / operators around the world to improve performance and reliability whilst driving down the cost of asset operations and maintenance.
- Finally, you will also be instrumental in supporting the development of our new subsea cable benchmarking service, Electrode.
We see this position as contributing both to the external market and to ORE Catapult processes and ways of working. Our organisation continues to follow a high-growth trajectory as we expand our service offering. As with all organisational growth, we must continue to improve and develop to meet the evolving needs of our Catapult.
The position of Senior Software Developer is a new position for us, the preferred candidate may have operated in a similarly aspirated position or indeed from a different background with a similar focus. You should however have the experience and ability to develop and deliver practical software solutions with multidisciplinary application. We are a highly collaborative place to work and all collectively connect with a variety of stakeholders to undertake our work. You should have experience of developing and maintaining mutually beneficial relationships.
The successful candidate will possess a positive approach to solution orientated work and be comfortable with the associated accountability. This is a rare and exciting opportunity to play an important part in shaping the future of our continued transition to a more sustainably powered future.
What do I need to qualify for this role?
- Educated to degree level or higher in software development or poses a professional accreditation or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in software development, specifically web & cloud hosted platforms
- In depth knowledge of .NET technologies & languages (VB.net, C#, ASP.net, MVC)
- In depth knowledge of web standards and technologies (HTML, CSS, JS, JQuery)
- In depth knowledge of cloud hosted platforms specifically Azure & AWS
- In depth knowledge of relational databases specifically Microsoft SQL
- Development experience in SharePoint advantageous
- Familiarity with automation tools (ansible, python and AWX)
- Familiarity with various operating systems (Linux, Mac OS, Windows)
- Analytical mind with problem-solving aptitude
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
Desirable but not essential:
- Development of Microsoft SharePoint
Who are we?
The offshore wind, wave and tidal sectors are amongst the fast-growing, most innovative and exciting industries in the UK and are at the forefront of supporting our transition to a low-carbon economy and our fight against the climate emergency.
Offshore Renewable Energy Catapult (ORE Catapult), is a leading technology innovation and research centre delivering the UK’s largest clean growth opportunity by accelerating the creation and growth of UK companies in offshore renewable energy. With locations across the UK and in China, ORE Catapult works with industry and academia to identify, develop, prove and de-risk promising new technologies and bring them to market. It is helping to reduce the cost of offshore renewable energy, supporting the growth of the industry and creating UK benefit.
Our working environment is open, inspiring and multicultural, and we provide great potential for personal and professional development.
In return, an excellent remuneration package is offered which includes attractive basic salary, pension, bonus, and subsidised health care saving scheme.
How do I apply?
If you feel you have the skills and experience to be successful in this role, please take the opportunity to review the attached job description and apply using an updated CV which showcases the skills and experience you have relevant to the role.
Thank you for your interest in Offshore Renewable Energy Catapult.
Closing Date: 29th April 2021
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of race, sex, disability, religion and belief, sexual orientation, or status regarding gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity.